Last month was my daughter’s first birthday party! We (well really I) decided that we would do a puppy dog themed part since she loves our 3 dogs so much! I wanted to have the food go with our theme and this recipe was one of the first things that came to mind; homemade puppy chow treats!
My mother in-law also makes this at Christmas time; it brings make memory childhood memories for us! This is also a great recipe to get the kids in the kitchen helping you! Something about licking the spoon of peanut butter and chocolate always seems to be popular!
Puppy Chow Treats
1 box chex cereal
1 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup peanut butter
- Melt chocolate and peanut butter together using the double boiler method (Take a large pan and fill it halfway with water. Then take a glass mixing dish and place it on top of the pan. You do not want the water touching the bottom of the glass dish so you may have to dump some out. Put the chocolate chips and peanut butter in the glass dish and turn the burner on medium-low. The steam from the water will melt your chocolate without burning it!). Let it cool slightly.
- Empty the chex cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate and peanut butter over the cereal and mix with a large spoon, be sure to try and cover as much as the cereal as possible. (Don’t forget to let the kids help with this part!)
- Sprinkle with enough powdered sugar so that each piece is covered with a slight layer of powdered sugar.
- Lick the spoon and spatulas and have fun! : – )
This also makes a good party favor gift; just put some of the puppy chow into decorative bags or tins. Tie with ribbon and also include a thank you tag if you wish!
To see what else we did for my daughter’s party you can check out my post on “Tips and Tricks for Throwing a Girl’s Puppy Dog Birthday Party.” I have a link there to our sugarless birthday cake and vegan icing!
Until next month, blessings!
Now onto Wisdom Wednesday! Take a moment to stop by and visit your hosts!